SNGA Players of Year, Outstanding Members 2021 (video)
Please enjoy a look at our 2021 SNGA Players of the Year plus our WSNGA volunteer of the year, Sandy Barletta, SNGA volunteers of the year, Steve and Judy Stine, and our member club of the year, Las Vegas Golfers Association. Player of the Year notes courtesy Tim Brand, SNGA director of rules and competitions. We will see you all on course in 2022 as a new quest begins.
Silver Net Player of the Year – Tony Troilo
- Closest points race of the entire season. Only 15 points separated 1st and 2nd place
- Played in 17 Points counting events in 2021
- Out of those 17 events, finished inside the Top 5, 9 times
- The highlights include……
- 1st place finish at the SNGA Tour Championship @ Las Vegas National
- 1st place finish at the SNGA Tour Four-Ball @ Paiute with his partner Vince Capko
- 2nd place finish at the last SNGA Major of the year, the Clark County Senior Amateur Championship at Boulder Creek. He was trying to defend his title there from 2020
- Tied for 2nd place in August at the Cascata Amateur Stableford Championship
- Tied for 4th place at the SNGA Team Championship @ Reflection Bay Golf Club
- 4th place at another SNGA Major Championship, the 2021 Southern Nevada Amateur Championship at Paiute played on both the Sun and Snow Mountain courses
- 5th place finish at the 2021 Nevada State Senior Amateur Championship hosted at Bears Best Las Vegas
- And lastly. Due to his exceptional play in both 2019 and 2020, Tony was invited to and participated in the Lou Oliver Cup which was won by the Southern Nevada Golf Association by a score of 19 – 5 over the NNGA. Tony was a big contributor by winning 2 out of his 3 matches during the event
Silver Gross Player of the Year – Steve Fink
- While our Silver Net points race was the closest race we had all year. Our Silver Gross points race, was our biggest margin of victory by any Player of the Year. Steve managed to accumulate 1,771 points, which was 976 points ahead of 2nd
- Played in 11 point counting events.
- Out of those 11 events Steve came in first or tied for first at the end of regulation, ALL 11 times!!
- Only twice he finished 2nd after losing in a sudden death playoff. At the Boulder City Amateur Championship he lost in a playoff to Frank Ellenburg. And at the Las Vegas Senior City Amateur Championship, he lost in a sudden death playoff to a birdie on the first playoff hole made by Doug Pool.
- Besides those two sudden death losses, Steve won every other event he played in.
- Highlights include………..
- The Reflection Bay Amateur Championship
- SNGA Mesquite Classic at the Palms Golf Club
- The Primm Valley Amateur on the Lakes course
- 2 Major Championship victories at the SNGA Championship which was conducted at both Highland Falls and Palm Valley Golf Clubs, and the Southern Nevada Amateur Championship held at Paiute Golf Resort.
- And the biggest points event of the year, the Nevada State Senior Amateur Championship held at Bears Best Golf Club. Steve shot rounds of 68, 67, and 72 to finish at -9 under par which was good enough for a 3 shot victory over the runner up, John Turk.
- And lastly, due to his great play during the 2020 and 2021 seasons, Steve was also invited to and did participate as a member of the SNGA Lou Oliver Cup team. He contributed to the SNGA’s historic win by going 3-0, winning both of his team matches and his individual match by a minimum margin of 4 up or better.
Senior Net Player of the Year – Jim Licausi
- Our Senior Net points race was also a close one that was not decided until after the final event of the season. Jim ended up with a 112 point cushion over perennial Senior Net contender, Todd Roberts.
- Jim played in the fewest counting events of any of our 6 Players of the Year. A total of 5. But his play in those 5 events was strong enough to earn him our Senior Net Player of the Year award.
- Out of the 5 events, Jim won 3 of them, and finished Tied for 3rd in the other 2. So out of 5 events, never finishing worse than 3rd.
- His two T-3’s came at two SNGA Major Championships.
- The 2021 SNGA Championship at Highland Falls and Palm Valley Golf Clubs, and…
- The Clark County Senior Amateur Championship at Boulder Creek Golf Club
- Jim’s three wins happened at….
- The Boulder City Amateur Championship which was played on both Boulder City golf courses
- Our 3rd Major Championship of the year at the Las Vegas Senior City Amateur at Las Vegas Golf Club
- And at the biggest counting point event of the entire year, the 2021 Nevada State Senior Amateur Championship at Bears Best. This is another example of why if you are vying for Player of the Year, it is so important to sign up for and play well at the State Championship level.
- And lastly, also due to Jim’s stellar play in 2020 and 2021, he was invited to and played for the SNGA on our Lou Oliver Cup team. Jim teamed up with Silver Net Player of the Year, Tony Troilo to make a formidable team, winning both of their team matches. Jim also won his individual match that week to go a perfect 3-0 for the event.
Senior Player of the Year – Glenn Hogle
- An incredibly close race to the end. The players who finished in 2nd and 3rd respectively, Gary Carpendale and Todd Roberts, both had the lead at different points in the season. It wasn’t until his strong play at the end of the year where Glenn managed to take control of the lead. He ended up beating Gary, by only 74 points.
- Glenn played in 16 total events that earned him points toward Senior Player of the Year.
- Out of those 16 events, he finished in the winner’s circle 6 times, and finished inside the Top 5, 11 times out of 16.
- Highlights include……
- A 3rd place finish at the 3rd Major Championship of the year, the Las Vegas Senior City Amateur Championship.
- 1st placer finishes at SNGA 2-Day Championships including the Reflection Bay Amateur and the SNGA Mesquite Classic.
- A Tied for 2nd at the 2021 Nevada State Senior Championship at Bears Best where he shot rounds of 66-75-71, to finish at -4 under par for the tournament, only two strokes behind the eventual champion Gary Carpendale.
- His lone SNGA Major Championship victory came at the final major of the year when he needed it most. Glenn was tied for 1st after regulation of the Clark County Senior Amateur Championship. On the very first playoff hole he hit a 300 yard drive, an approach shot inside of 4 feet, and made the birdie putt to seal the win over Las Vegas Senior City Amateur Champion Sean McManaman. To show how great both players played that weekend after two rounds of golf, they were tied at a whopping -11 under par.
- And lastly, while it was not his highest point awarding event, I know one of his proudest victories was to earn the medalist and qualifying honors at our U.S. Senior Amateur sectional qualifier. The qualifier was held on a very long and challenging setup at SouthShore Country Club. His play earned him the right to go and compete in the Senior Amateur National Championship at The Country Club of Detroit. I know from talking with him it was one of if not the best golf experiences he has ever had there and I am sure he has plans of trying to qualify again this year.
Net Player of the Year – Aaron Bartels
- Another extremely close race that was not decided until the very last tournament. Aaron ended up winning by only 40 points over 2nd place finisher Greg Pyszko.
- Aaron played in a total of 16 events that counted towards Player of the Year points.
- Out of those 16 events he won 3 times and finished in the Top 5 a total of 7 times.
- Highlights include…..
- A tie for 4th at the SNGA Mesquite Classic at The Palms Golf Club
- A tie for 3rd at the Reflection Bay Amateur Championship
- A victory at the SNGA Short Game Championship at Eagle Crest Golf Club
- A playoff victory at the SNGA Cascata Stableford Championship
- And a victory at the biggest points awarding event the Net Division has all year, the 2021 Nevada State Net Amateur Championship, held at Genoa Lakes Golf Club up in Genoa, Nevada.
- For anyone here not aware of the event, the Nevada State Net Amateur Championship is a grueling format. It consists of 36-Holes of Stroke Play first. After stroke play, the top 8 players move on to match play where if you keep advancing you play a quarterfinal, semifinal, and then Final match. So, when you factor in a practice round the day before, you are talking over 100 holes of golf in the span of 4 days.
- After making it through the stroke play portion of the event and earning the # 4seed, Aaron beat #5 seed Richard Florez by a score of 4&3, then in the semifinals beat the #1 seed Cecil Collier by a score of 1 UP, and finally in the Final Match beat #7 seed Jacob Haas by a score of 3&2 to earn the title of 2021 Nevada State Net Amateur Champion.
- To reiterate how important these State Championships are, Aaron was warded 375 points for his victory, which accounted for just over 45% of his total points earned for the entire 2021 season.
Championship Player of the Year – Josh Goldstein
- This was another very dominating performance by a player this year. Josh managed to rack up a total of 1,613 points over the span of the 15 points counting events he participated in. That total was 763 points clear of 2nd place on the list.
- Josh returned to playing a close to full schedule of SNGA and State tournaments after regaining his amateur status in late 2020.
- Out of the 15 events, Josh won 6 times and finished inside the Top 5, 11 times.
- Highlights include……
- A 1st place finish at the SNGA Tour Scratch Championship at Bears Best
- A victory at the SNGA Winter Classic hosted at Cascata Golf Club this past December.
- Won medalist honors and qualified at our U.S. Open Local qualifier on the Paiute Sun Mountain course. That qualifier has one of the strongest fields we see each year with both top amateurs and professionals from the Las Vegas area as well as players coming in from neighboring states. Josh was the only player out of the 84 players who managed to get -4 under par through regulation and earned himself Medalist honors.
- Josh’s two biggest points counting events came in the Nevada State Championships.
- He was victorious at the Nevada State Mid-Amateur Championship which was held at Genoa Lakes Golf Club.
- Josh was also victorious at the Nevada State Amateur Championship which was held this past summer at Red Hawk Golf Resort in Sparks, Nevada. Josh fired up rounds of 67-65-69 to finish at -12 under par. Which was good for a 5-stroke victory over runner up finisher, Joe Peroglio.
- LV Golf Hall of Fame Induction Brings Community Together
- Seiji Liu Earns Medalist at 2022 U.S. Mid-Amateur Sectional Qualifier
- Yana Wilson Joins Wright, Lopez, Park as U.S. Girls Junior Amateur
- Get your USGA golf handicap in 3 easy steps with Southern Nevada Golf Association
- Hogle, Morley Advance to U.S. Senior Amateur